A warning to those looking to mod their motorized bicycles:

Most, if not all, of the hacks and mods featured on this site were made by individual hobbyists. If you are new to working with 2-stroke bicycle engines, please by aware that there's a possibility that a mod featured on this site could seriously damage your engine. Please don't try any mod from this or any other site unless you fully understand what you are doing. The owner of this blog will not be held responsible for both material and bodily damage caused by performing a modification featured on this blog. Also remember that opening up your engine may void your warranty!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

$3 easy muffler end cap replacement

So the other day I was taking a nice morning ride on my booze-powered bicycle, and after all those times of me trying to get the end cap off the muffler manually, it came off by itself while I was on the road.  I stopped soon enough to go back and get it, but right as I got about 150 feet away a street sweeper just happened to come by and run over it!  Fortunately the end cap didn't get sucked up, but the cap was flatened and unusable.  I didn't want to ride without any back pressure for my engine so I had to peddle most of the way home.  The engine was also very loud without the cap.

I was frustrated because no matter how hot I made the cap with my torch, I couldn't bend it back to the right shape.  I thought I was going to need to make a new one and weld it on, but I found a solution that requires no welding and works just as well as the original!

The style of muffler I have is the one with the big baffle on the inside and a long tube protruding from the inside of the end cap.

Pretty much, the solution is to get a big steel washer and drill a hole through it.  Then bolt it on with a few smaller washers and a lock/spring washer.  And that's it!  Cost me $3 for the parts at Orchard Supply Hardware(my favorite hardware store).

Here are the parts I used:

  • Fender washer - 1/2" x 2"
  • Lock washer - 7/16"
  • 2 flat washers - 7/16"
  • 1 steel bolt - This can depend on your muffler so just pick the right one.
Any difference in performance?  Well since this homemade end cap doesn't have the baffle tube, the noise is just a tiny bit louder and I can see about 1mph better performance on hills!  Also sounds a little "throatier" than before!  If you lost your end cap and need a quick replacement, I'd say this is the way to go.  I've already road several miles with it and it stays on.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this blog, i think is very interesting, most of all for the new ideas that this blog talk. Muffler Parts

    ReplyDelete