A warning to those looking to mod their motorized bicycles:

Most, if not all, of the hacks and mods featured on this site were made by individual hobbyists. If you are new to working with 2-stroke bicycle engines, please by aware that there's a possibility that a mod featured on this site could seriously damage your engine. Please don't try any mod from this or any other site unless you fully understand what you are doing. The owner of this blog will not be held responsible for both material and bodily damage caused by performing a modification featured on this blog. Also remember that opening up your engine may void your warranty!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Homemade tensioner for single-speed conversion


My adventure into the world of motorized bicycles originally started when the derailler and gearing system on my mountain bike fell off and got destroyed.  Since I could no longer practically use the bike for mountain biking or biking around hilly California, I wanted to find a way to bring new life to the bike and avoid tossing it out.  That's how I found out about MBs.


Which brings me to my problem now.  Since I don't have any sort of tensioning, and since my bike frame has a vertical drop-out, converting my bike to just run as a single-speed hasn't worked out so well.  Just the other day, my chain fell off and got gnarled because of my inadequate single-speed conversion.  So since then I've been having to push the bike in order to start it.


What I need is a chain tensioner, but not something ridiculously expensive.  I thought I'd share this thread from mtbr.com about DIY tensioners. 


All I know now is that I'm definitely going to build one of these! 

1 comment:

  1. Great post you have made. Your post will be very useful to me. I will follow your blog to get more information.

    ReplyDelete