A warning to those looking to mod their motorized bicycles:

Most, if not all, of the hacks and mods featured on this site were made by individual hobbyists. If you are new to working with 2-stroke bicycle engines, please by aware that there's a possibility that a mod featured on this site could seriously damage your engine. Please don't try any mod from this or any other site unless you fully understand what you are doing. The owner of this blog will not be held responsible for both material and bodily damage caused by performing a modification featured on this blog. Also remember that opening up your engine may void your warranty!

Monday, October 24, 2011

Cleaning up your electrical

If you have come across other pictures of my bike, you'd have seen my electric wires hanging out and simply clamped to the bike with zip ties.  These 2-stroke kits pretty much just have the electrical connections hanging out and I really hate that.  Also, I chose to zip-tie my CDI instead of using bolts(since it's plastic and apparently breaks easily), but that caused the CDI to move around and the plug wire would often be hanging out the side. 

Well recently, some guy was tailgating me and I made a sharp right turn and, well, I wiped out.  Got some road rash, but at least I got the opportunity to revise my set up!  I wanted something both visually and practically superior, so this is what I came up with:

  • I moved my CDI to the top bar on my frame.  That way it won't slide much even if you zip-tie it.  For some reason I just think it reduces clutter that way instead of having all the wires smashed up on the one bar on the bottom.
  • Shrink tubing: People say to solder the wires and use electrical tape.  I decided to go with something nicer looking and less sticky.  You can get shrink tubing at Radio Shack or anywhere that sells electronics supplies.  Just cut a piece, slide it over the bare area on the wire and roll a soldering iron over it to make the tubing shrink.  A heat gun may work well too.  It looks great and creates a nice seal to prevent shortage.
  • I took all the wires, including the ones coming from the kill switch, and ran them through a piece of flexible cable tube that I cut out.  This looks MUCH better than having all the wires visibly hanging out.  You can buy cable tubing from Radio Shack or Wal-Mart.  Then I just zip-tied the tube to the bottom frame. 
  • Used silicone sealant on the CDI(where the plug wire comes out) and where the magneto wires come out of the motor.  This in combination with the shrink tubing and cable tube should make this setup really water resistant.
P.S. Yes, I know that some paint is missing on my bike.  That's due to B-12 Chemtool and the fact that I spray-painted my frame.  One of the next things I plan on doing is patching those areas.

This post is sponsored by B-12 Chemtool: The world's most powerful paint-thinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment